Pages

insights from a daughter of the King, teacher, farmer's wife, and Mommy

1.15.2018

5 more minutes: Pa edition

January 6 was my grandpa's birthday, and on January 6 this year my son had a basketball tournament, my daughter had practice, I worked the gate at the tournament, and the day was filled from 7:00am to 9:00pm.  But I still remembered it was his birthday.  He was an amazing man and what I would give to be able to celebrate one more birthday with him.  I often hear Scotty McCreary's song 5 more minutes and think what if I had five more minutes.  But really it wouldn't be enough, maybe a whole day would be but I'm not sure.

 

So to celebrate my grandpa's birthday this year I thought about how I would spend a whole day with him.

We'd get up early and head to the cafe and have gravy biscuits and say hey to all the neighbors and he'd pay for somebody else's table when he paid.  Then we'd head out and check the cows and ride through the farms.  We'd probably stop and check on a widow or two and sit on their front porch or even in their living room.  We'd ride up the rode to his brother's and sit in the truck while uncle Bob told us all about things going on.  Then we'd ride by his sister Marie and check on her.  He might have to ride to the bank or have an eye doctor visit.  All the while, he's teaching about how things used to be and how to save money and how to drive.  We'd then head home where we'd sit in the wood shed and he'd burn the trash and I'd drive a nail in the same block of wood I do every time.  I would give anything to have one more day of just riding around listening to my Pawpaw. 

Cherish every day. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24 Leave me some honey.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...